Thursday, June 22, 2006

MI-III: Impossible!

I'm not a fan of action movies.

I'm certainly not a fan of sequels, whose sole purpose is to cash-in on the success of the earlier films, so much so that being repetitive is almost regarded as the sure-fire formula.

What if it's a sequel of an action movie? Well…

I had no intention of watching Mission: Impossible 3. I avoided it as much as I could, but what could I do when my wife had a sudden, unexpected craving to watch Tom Cruise?

Anyhow, I went to watch the movie last evening only because I had no other option. I went into the theatre with no expectations whatsoever. I knew I would not like the movie. Full marks to Tom Cruise and J. J. Abrams for not disappointing me at all! Just as I had expected, I didn't like the film. So what if it had the uber-cool Tom Cruise, some 'mind-blowing' action (logic-defying, if I may add), sought to provide the vicarious pleasures of globe-trotting(Berlin, Rome, Vatican, Shanghai...), and showcased some great futuristic (almost unbelievable) technology! It just wasn't something I could enjoy.

I can think of only one word when I think of MI-III – IMPOSSIBLE. Impossible plot, impossible action, impossible logic, impossible characters – impossible everything. The opening sequences – pseudo-sentimental engagement party followed by a completely outrageous (almost dizzying) rescue mission – were impossible to watch. The movie did start getting my attention somewhere in between, but once the action took centre stage I was off again. I had no interest in finding out what the $850 m 'Rabbit’s Foot' was, or why everyone was going so hyper about it. For all I cared, it might well have been a 'very expensive bunny appendage'. That, if you haven't seen the movie, is how Benji, the only likeable character in the film, describes it, and probably is the only truly funny line in the whole movie.

"Well I'm assuming the rabbit’s foot is some sort of a codename for a deadly weapon, otherwise it could just be some very expensive bunny appendage."

Before I end, another thought – why does Ethan Hunt come across to me as such a shallow character, who gets his heroism by sheer luck?

Did I miss something?

No comments:

Post a Comment